Recognition of driving licences of other countries
SECTION 55 OF ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, 2004 (ACT 683): - Provides that a driving licence issued under the corresponding provisions of any law of force in any other country may be recognized for conversion into driving licence issued under this Act, and under such conditions that the licensing Authority may from time to time prescribe.
Use of foreign driver’s licence.
REGULATION 148 of Road Traffic Regulations, 2012 (L.I 2180): -
1. A person shall not use a foreign driver’s licence to drive in the Republic.
2. A holder of a foreign driver’s licence shall convert the licence in accordance with sections 55 to 57 of Act 683 to enable that person drive in the country.
3. A person who contravenes this regulation commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a fine of not less than twenty-five penalty units and not more than fifty penalty units or to a term of imprisonment of not more than three month or to both.
To be legible to convert your foreign driver’s licence, the applicant will be required to present the following to the Licensing Authority:
1. Original and photocopy of the foreign driver’s licence – (Valid licences only).
2. Original and photocopy of Passport – (Valid licences only).
3. Photocopy of Resident Permit (One Year Validity). (Foreign Nationals only).
Permits that will expire in 2 months from the date of this application will not be accepted.
4. Authentication from either the issuing Authority or Embassy of the applicant in the form of:
a. Driving Records or
5. Introduction letter from either employer or spouse in Ghana. (Foreign Nationals only).
6. Photocopy of Non-Citizen Registration Card. (Foreign Nationals only).
7. Applicant must be present. No agent will be entertained.
8. Ghanaian nationals who hold other nationalities will be required to show either a Resident permit or the Dual Citizenship Registration Card.
9. All Driving License issued in any other language apart from English language must be translated into English language. Only translations from either the Ghana Institute of Languages Trans bureau (show original payment receipt) or the consulate of the Issuing state will be accepted.
10. Any other document that may be required by the Licensing Authority from either nationals or foreign nationals.
The Authority reserves the right to request that an applicant is subjected to its full driving test procedures and